AIPLA Strategic Plan 2007—2010
AIPLA leads and serves a diverse IP community by enhancing knowledge and shaping the future of IP law.
A global paradigm shift is currently underway affecting the role of IP, calling for AIPLA to assume a key role in promoting the adoption of strong and balanced IP laws worldwide.
To this end, within 3 years, AIPLA will have cultivated a significant range of both new members and future leaders; will have advanced the organizations global policies and posture related to the advocacy of IP; and will be the educator of choice related to IP law and practice.
Additionally, AIPLA will have significantly enhanced operating methods, including a more robust Internet presence, and a significant improvement of the means by which the organization captures, manages, and disseminates knowledge about IP.
Through the provision of a world-class educational program, AIPLA will advance excellence in the practice of IP law and constructive adjustments in the IP system.
In order to promote an objective balance between private ownership and public rights, AIPLA will have reinforced its key role in advising and shaping global management and enforcement of IP rights and the education of industry, government and the public.
GOALS and OBJECTIVES
MEMBERSHIP DEVELOPMENT—Cultivate active members and future leaders
- Increase member enjoyment and satisfaction
- Increase membership and participation of under represented constituencies (i.e., Trademark, Copyright, Corporate, Minorities, Law Students, Foreign, Patent Agents, Solo Practitioners)
- Develop a more effective mentoring program
- Increase networking opportunities
- Increase active committee participation
- Increase and nurture a pool of future leaders
- Increase localized activities
- Increase the value of AIPLA's website services to the membership
- Increase awareness of AIPLA's value to its members
LEADERSHIP—Participate proactively in IP policy development and advocacy
- Enhance strategic policy initiatives
- Implement new methods for educating decision makers
- Develop strategic alliances in support of AIPLA's goals
- Sustain and enhance the status of AIPLA's role as a recognized resource for and advocate before Congress
- Maintain and strengthen relations with government agencies
- Improve communications with the judiciary
- Maintain and strengthen relations with international decision makers
- Educate the public regarding the value of IP
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT—Be the IP educator of choice
- Offer differentiated levels of IP educational programs
- Review and update speaker quality standards and use data available
- Continue the expansion of online programs
- Improve marketing of AIPLA's educational offerings
- Consider creating AIPLA-branded publications and wikis using existing or new materials
- Develop a speaker's bureau for law schools, the general public, and corporate outreach
- Consider new means of oversight for programs to ensure diversity in speakers and subject matters
TECHNOLOGY—Enhance IP communication and knowledge management
- Integrate online data management and delivery systems
- Revamp the website
- Expand online communication, collaboration, and education through an Internet Plan
- Establish an e-based set of professional/leadership development tools
Back to Top